Useful organisations

For additional local organisations call the Brake helpline or talk to your Family Liaison Officer or VIA.

Charities for road crash victims:


Brake supports people bereaved and seriously injured by road crashes and campaigns for safe and healthy mobility for all. The charity’s national freephone helpline is a quality accredited service that provides emotional and practical support, information, and access to local face-to-face support services, legal help and people who have suffered a similar bereavement. Its helpline officers can also speak on your behalf to officials to ensure your voice is heard, and help you access services available to you. Brake coordinates Road Safety Week, and runs road safety education programmes in schools, communities and companies. The charity also encourages government to improve road safety legislation and enforcement.

The charity provides many volunteering opportunities for bereaved families.
Helpline 0808 8000 401 (Mon-Fri 10am-4pm) or

To donate, join, or volunteer visit or call 01484 559909


RoadPeace provides support and information to people bereaved or seriously injured by a road crash. They offer practical support with post-crash guidance reports and informative briefing papers; emotional support through a helpline and their befriender scheme (coordinated by staff with volunteers who have been affected by road death or injury); and advocacy assistance to support evidence-based campaigns for the improvement of post-crash responses.

The charity coordinates remembrance activities, including Remember Me roadside plaques, and provides the bereaved and seriously injured with access to a network of peer support. RoadPeace promotes road danger reduction and updates to the justice system to make the legal standards and sentences after a crash fit for purpose. The charity supports active travel opportunities that give greater consideration to vulnerable road users and the environment.

Helpline 0845 4500 355 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) or
Office 020 7733 1603 or Website:

SCARD (Support and Care after Road Death and Injury) working with CADD (Campaign Against Drinking and Driving)

Two charities working together to provide emotional and practical support to those who have lost a loved one, or been injured or affected by drunk or reckless driving. SCARD offers a helpline staffed by volunteers 365 days a year and access to free, face-to-face counselling sessions and legal advice. It also provides information on inquests, criminal proceedings which may follow road traffic collisions, and claims for compensation.

With its sister charity CADD, SCARD offers road safety education and awareness-building workshops to groups and individuals, including anti-drink-drive workshops.

SCARD holds an annual Oakleaf memorial service to remember road crash victims.

Helpline 0345 123 5542 (7 days a week, 9am-9pm including bank holidays)
Office enquiries 01924 562252 or

SCID (Scotland’s Campaign against Irresponsible Drivers)

SCID campaigns for tougher road traffic law and the rights of road crash victims. SCID offers ongoing phone and face-to-face emotional support and advice for bereaved families of fatal road crashes in Scotland to guide them through the civil and criminal justice systems. This support is provided by volunteers, subject to availability.

Other organisations campaigning for road safety:


Works to improve the safety of children and young people travelling by bus, coach, taxi and car. Offers support and guidance for parents about safety issues, legislation and the hiring of transport. Produces educational material for schools and co-ordinates School Transport Safety Week. Can put bereaved families in touch with other bereaved families.
Call 01633 274944 or email Website:

RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents)

RoSPA’s road safety department raises awareness about the causes of road crashes and promotes measures to help prevent them. This charity does not provide support services for road crash victims.
Call 0121 248 2000 or email Website:

Organisations supporting people bereaved by any cause:

Cruse Bereavement Care Scotland
Call 0845 600 2227 or go to

For children and young people go to

The Samaritans

The Samaritans operates a 24 hour helpline for anyone in need Call 116 123 or go to

If your partner has died:

WAY (Widowed and Young)

If a child or a child’s relative has died:

Child Bereavement UK
Call 0800 028 8840 or go to

The Child Death Helpline
Call 0800 282 986 or 0808 800 6019 or go to

The Compassionate Friends
Call 0345 123 2304 or go to

Care for the Family
Call 029 2081 0800 or go to

Winston’s Wish
Call 08088 020 021 or go to

Organisations campaigning for sustainable transport:

Campaign for Better Transport
Promotes sustainable and public transport.

Living Streets
Promotes safety and accessibility for pedestrians.

Develops paths for walkers and cyclists.

Citizens Advice Scotland
If you need any other contacts your local Citizens Advice service may be able to help. It can provide access to free, impartial and confidential advice, including on financial and legal matters. For your nearest office, you can look in your phone book or go to the Citizens Advice Scotland website at

Government bodies with responsibility for criminal justice in Scotland:

The Scottish Government

In Scotland, the Cabinet Secretary for Justice is responsible for the Scottish Criminal Justice System, including matters concerning victims of crime, and for some aspects of traffic policing including administration of speed cameras and the Driver Improvement Scheme.

Call 0300 244 4000 or email  Website:  or

Police Scotland

Has a road policing business area that has some responsibility for determining policing policy. Other policies are determined by the Chief Constable.

Call 101 or fill in the contact form on the Police Scotland website

The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS)

COPFS is responsible for the prosecution of crime in Scotland, the investigation of sudden or suspicious deaths and complaints against the police.

Call 0300 020 3000 or email  Website:

Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service

The Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service is responsible for providing the staff, buildings and technology to support Scotland’s courts and tribunals, the work of the independent judiciary, the courts’ Rules Councils, the Office of the Public Guardian and the Accountant of the Court. In April 2010 it was established by the Judiciary and Courts (Scotland) Act 2008 as an independent body, governed by a corporate board and chaired by the Lord President, the most senior judge in Scotland.

Call 0131 444 3300 or email   Website:

Scottish Prison Service

The Scottish Prison Service is an agency of the Scottish Government responsible for prisons.

Call 0131 330 3500 or email    Website:

Parole Board for Scotland

The Parole Board for Scotland makes decisions about early prisoner release.

Call 0131 244 8373        Website:

Scottish legal contacts listed elsewhere in this pack:

Criminal Justice System: Go to Court cases for details of who to contact if you have comments about the criminal justice system.

Personal Injury Solicitors: Go to Can I claim compensation? for details of organisations listing personal injury solicitors.

Government bodies with responsibility for road safety in Scotland:

The Scottish Government Transport Directorate

The Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity is responsible for road safety policy in Scotland.
Call 0300 244 4000 or email 

Local highway engineers and road safety officers

Local authorities are responsible for improving road safety on local roads. They employ highways engineers, who are responsible for local speed limits, traffic calming, pedestrian crossings and other aspects of road design. Local road safety officers are responsible for local road safety education and publicity. They may be employed by local authorities or by police forces.

For contact details, contact your local authority.

Transport Scotland

Transport Scotland is responsible for trunk road safety.
Call 0141 272 7100 or email   Website: 

Road Safety Scotland

Road Safety Scotland is funded by the Scottish Government to produce road safety education resources and run road safety publicity campaigns in Scotland, working with local authorities and police.
Call 0131 244 6133 or fill in the contact form on the Road Safety Scotland website: 

Traffic Commissioner for Scotland

The Traffic Commissioner is an appointed official with responsibility for licensing companies to operate lorries, buses and coaches. The Traffic Commissioner has the power to issue and take away an operator’s licence.
Call 0300 123 9000

UK-wide Government departments:

The Home Office

The Home Office is responsible for reviewing UK charges and penalties for traffic offences (many of which, although not all, apply in Scotland).
Call 020 7035 4848 or email   Website:

The Department for Transport

The Department for Transport is responsible for many areas of road safety policy, ranging from setting the drink drive limit to road safety TV campaigns. The Department for Transport also commissions research on road safety topics.
Call 0300 330 3000   Website:

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

The DVLA promotes road safety and general law enforcement by licensing and maintaining registers of drivers and vehicles, and collecting vehicle excise duty (tax).


Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency

The DVSA sets standards for driving and ensures drivers, vehicle operators and MOT garages follow roadworthiness standards. It also provides a range of licensing, testing, education and enforcement services.


 Your political representatives:

Your local councillor

If you are worried about a particular local traffic problem your local councillor may be able to help. You can find out their contact details by phoning your local council.

Your Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP)

Your MSP’s job is to represent your interests in the Scottish Parliament. You may want to write to or meet him/her to discuss any aspect of your case which you think s/he could act upon. You can find out the name of your MSP by calling 0131 348 5000 or by going to and typing in your postcode.

You can write to your MSP at the Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh EH99 1SP.

Your Member of Parliament (MP)

Your MP's job is to represent your interests in Parliament. You may want to write to or meet them to discuss any aspect of your case which you think they could act upon. You can find out the name of your MP by going to or calling Parliament on 020 7219 4272. You can write to your MP at the House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA.


This book is written by the charity Brake and funded by the Scottish Government. It is prepared in partnership and open consultation with families bereaved by road crashes and representatives from a range of organisations including:

APIL (The Association of Personal Injury Lawyers)Citizens Advice Scotland (CAS)
Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS)
Digby Brown Solicitors
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)
Motor Accident Solicitors Society (MASS)
National Association of Funeral Directors
National Records of Scotland
The Natural Death Centre
Parole Board for Scotland
Police Scotland
Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service
Scottish Donation and Transplant Group
The Scottish Government Health Department
The Scottish Government Justice Department
Scottish Justices Association
Scottish Prison Service
Scottish Sentencing Council
Victim Support Scotland

Click to go to the contents page.

Disclaimer: This guide is for information purposes only. While it outlines processes of law and procedure, it does not aim to fully describe all aspects of law and procedures, and laws and procedures may also change. Brake is committed to continuous improvement. Any comments on this guide's content are welcomed and can be sent in writing to our address or e-mail. Brake, PO Box 548, Huddersfield HD1 2XZ or e-mailed to Helpline 0808 8000 401.

Tags: Charity support partner helpline