Useful Organisations

For additional local organisations call the Brake helpline or talk to your Family Liaison Officer.

Charities for road crash victims


Brake supports people bereaved and seriously injured by road crashes and campaigns for safe and healthy mobility for all. The charity’s national freephone helpline is a quality accredited service for people affected by road death and serious injury, providing emotional and practical support, information, and access to local face-to-face support services, legal help and people who have suffered a similar bereavement. Its helpline officers can also speak on your behalf to officials to ensure your voice is heard, and help you access services available to you. Brake coordinates Road Safety Week, and runs road safety education programmes in schools, communities and companies. The charity also encourages government to improve road safety legislation and enforcement.

The charity provides many volunteering opportunities for bereaved families.

Helpline 0808 8000 401 (Mon-Fri 10am-4pm) or

To donate, join, or volunteer, go to or call 0148 455 9909.


RoadPeace provides support and information to people bereaved or seriously injured by a road crash. They offer practical support with post-crash guidance reports and informative briefing papers; emotional support through a helpline and their befriender scheme (coordinated by staff with volunteers who have been affected by road death or injury); and advocacy assistance to support evidence-based campaigns for the improvement of post-crash responses. The charity coordinates remembrance activities, including Remember Me roadside plaques, and provides the bereaved and seriously injured with access to a network of peer support. RoadPeace promotes road danger reduction and updates to the justice system to make the legal standards and sentences after a crash fit for purpose. The charity supports active travel opportunities that give greater consideration to vulnerable road users and the environment.

Helpline 0845 4500 355 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) or

Office 020 7733 1603 or

SCARD (Support and Care after Road Death and Injury) working with CADD (Campaign Against Drinking and Driving)

Two charities working together to provide emotional and practical support to those who have lost a loved one, or been injured or affected by drunk or reckless driving. SCARD offers a helpline staffed by volunteers 365 days a year and access to free, face-to-face counselling sessions and legal advice. It also provides information on coroners and inquests, criminal and civil law, appeals and private prosecutions and can offer road safety education workshops for schools and organisations. With its sister charity CADD, SCARD offers road safety education and awareness-building workshops to groups and individuals, including anti-drink-drive workshops. SCARD holds an annual Oakleaf memorial service to remember road crash victims.

Helpline 0345 123 5542 (7 days a week, 9am-9pm including bank holidays)

Office enquiries 01924 562252 or email

Other organisations campaigning for road safety:


Works to improve the safety of children and young people travelling by bus, coach, taxi and car. Offers support and guidance for parents about safety issues, legislation and the hiring of transport. Produces educational material for schools and co-ordinates School Transport Safety Week. Can put bereaved families in touch with other bereaved families.

Call 01495 981185 or email

RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents)

RoSPA’s road safety department raises awareness about the causes of road crashes and promotes measures to help prevent them. This charity does not provide support services for road crash victims.

Call 0121 248 2000 or email

Organisations supporting people bereaved by any cause:

Cruse Bereavement Care

Call 0808 808 1677 or go to

For children and young people go to

The Samaritans

The Samaritans operates a 24-hour helpline for anyone in need.

Call 116 123 or go to

If your partner has died:

WAY (Widowed & Young)

If a child or a child’s relative has died:

Child Bereavement UK

Call 0800 028 8840 or go to

The Child Death Helpline

Call 0800 282 986, or 0808 800 6019 if calling from a mobile, or go to

The Compassionate Friends

Call 0345 123 2304 (Mon-Fri 9.30-4.30), email or go to

Care for the Family

Call 029 2081 0800 or go to

Winston’s Wish

Call 08088 020 021 or go to

Organisations that support victims of crime

Victim Support NI

Emotional support and practical advice for victims of crime, plus help at court and advocacy services.

Call 02890 243133 or email

NSPCC Young Witness Service

Free, independent and confidential support and assistance for children and young people who have to attend court as witnesses in Northern Ireland.

Organisations campaigning for sustainable transport:

Campaign for Better Transport

Promotes sustainable and public transport.

Living Streets

Promotes safety and accessibility for pedestrians.


Making it easier for people to walk and cycle by creating spaces that are walkable and cycle-friendly; supporting communities to have the opportunity and ability to walk, cycle, scoot and wheel; and working with decision-makers to create policies that make walking and cycling a more attractive choice.

Government bodies with responsibility for road safety:

Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI)

The Road Policing branch of PSNI deals with issues concerning traffic policing, including equipment, policies and road safety initiatives. You can write to PSNI, Brooklyn, 65 Knock Road, Belfast BT5 6LE.

Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA)

The DVA is responsible for administering driving tests and annual vehicle tests (MOT), issuing licences, endorsements and disqualifications for private and commercial vehicles, and maintaining a register of drivers and vehicles. It is responsible for carrying out enforcement checks on maintenance standards of trucks, buses, taxis, private cars and agricultural vehicles. It also has responsibility for licensing companies to operate these vehicles, and has the power to take away an operator's licence. You can write to the Chief Executive, County Hall, Castlerock Road, Waterside, Coleraine, Co. Londonderry BT51 3HS

Call 0300 200 7861 or email

Transport NI

Transport NI, part of the Department for Infrastructure, is a government agency responsible for operating, maintaining and improving roads in Northern Ireland. You may wish to contact them about the condition of a road, or an obstruction on the road where the crash occurred. You can write to Transport NI, Clarence Court, 10-18 Adelaide Street, Belfast BT2 8GB.

The National Police Chiefs' Council

The National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) road policing committee has some responsibility for determining policing policy on traffic, drugs, alcohol and victim support. Other policies are determined by the Chief Constable of each force.

You can write to the Chair, NPCC Central Office, 1st Floor, 10 Victoria Street,

London SW1H 0NN.

Your political representatives

Your local councillor

If you are worried about a particular local traffic problem your local councillor may be able to help. You can find out their contact details by phoning your local council.

Your Member of Parliament (MP)

Your MP’s job is to represent your interests in Parliament. You may want to write to or meet them to discuss any aspect of your case which you think they could act upon. You can find out the name of your MP by going to the website and clicking on ‘contact us’ and then entering your postcode in the box on the right or by calling Parliament on 020 7219 4272.

You can also call the freephone enquiry service on 0800 112 4272 or email

Your Member of the Northern Ireland Legislative Assembly (MLA)

Your MLA’s job is to represent your interests in the Northern Ireland Legislative Assembly. You may want to write to or meet them to discuss any aspect of your case that you think they could act upon. You can find out the name of your MLA by going to or calling 028 9052 1137. You can write to your MLA at the Northern Ireland Assembly, Parliament Buildings, Stormont, Belfast, BT4 3XX.

Organisations that are members of Advice NI can provide access to free, impartial and confidential advice, including on financial and legal matters. Go to to find your local Advice NI members.


This pack is written by Brake and funded by the Police Service of Northern Ireland. It is prepared in partnership and open consultation with families bereaved by road crashes and representatives from a range of organisations including:

Advice NI
APIL (The Association of Personal Injury Lawyers)
Coroners' Service for Northern Ireland
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
General Register Office for Northern Ireland
Judicial Studies Board
MASS (Motor Accident Solicitors Society)
National Association of Funeral Directors
Natural Death Centre
NHS Blood and Transplant (Northern Ireland)
Northern Ireland Courts and Tribunals Service
Northern Ireland Prison Service
Northern Ireland Prisoner Release Victim Information Scheme
Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland
Police Service of Northern Ireland
Probation Board for Northern Ireland
Public Prosecution Service Northern Ireland
Victim Support Northern Ireland
Victim and Witness Care Unit
Witness Service of Northern Ireland

Return to the contents pages

Disclaimer: This guide is for information purposes only. While it outlines processes of law and procedure, it does not aim to fully describe all aspects of law and procedures, and laws and procedures may also change. Brake is committed to continuous improvement. If you would like to provide feedback, please fill in our simple online feedback form or you can email or write to us. Brake, PO Box 548, Huddersfield HD1 2XZ. Helpline 0808 8000 401.

Tags: road safety Family Liaison Officer Charity brake support