If a loved one died abroad, there may be many added complications, such as different legal procedures or a language barrier.

If you have been in touch with the FCDO you should have been offered Brake's support. If not, you can contact the National Road Victim Service on 0808 8000 401 (Monday-Friday, 10am-4pm) or email help@brake.org.uk.

You can also ask for support from FCDO Consular staff based at British Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates overseas, and in London in the Consular Directorate of the FCDO.

FCDO staff can:

  • give you information about burial or cremation in the country in which someone died, or information about transporting the body and personal belongings back to the UK
  • advise you how to register a death in the country where the person died
  • help you transfer money from the UK to pay costs
  • offer basic information about the local police system and legal system, including the availability of any legal aid
  • provide you with details of local lawyers, interpreters and funeral directors.

FCDO staff cannot investigate deaths abroad nor give legal advice. If you have concerns about legal issues, a solicitor with experience of dealing with deaths abroad can advise you.

If the person who died had travel insurance, it is advisable to contact the insurer as soon as possible, in case there is a possibility of a claim.

Contact the FCDO

You can contact the FCDO for help and advice from anywhere in the world. Call 0207 008 5000 or go to the FCDO website.

To find your nearest British embassy, High Commission or Consulate, go to www.gov.uk/world/embassies.

This page was reviewed in January 2024.