Brake’s National Road Victim Service works with the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) to provide emotional and practical support in cases of death and serious injury in a road crash abroad.

If you have been in touch with the FCDO you should have been offered this support. If not, contact the National Road Victim Service.

You can also ask for support from FCDO Consular staff based at British Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates overseas, and in London in the Consular Directorate of the FCDO. These officials can:

  • help you transfer money from the UK to pay costs
  • offer information about the local police system and legal system
  • provide details of local, English-speaking lawyers, interpreters and funeral directors.

FCDO staff cannot investigate crashes that happened abroad nor give legal advice.

If you have concerns about legal issues, a solicitor with experience of dealing with crashes abroad can advise you.

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) guidance called ‘Support for British nationals abroad: A guide’ explains what support is available. This guidance is available at

You can contact the FCDO for help and advice anywhere in the world by calling 0207 008 5000 or go to To find your nearest British embassy, High Commission or Consulate, go to

Paying for costs incurred abroad

The FCDO cannot pay any of your costs abroad, such as hospital or legal costs. However, it may be possible for you to claim back these costs as part of a claim for financial support or from an insurance policy, such as travel insurance. Keep receipts, consult a solicitor and check insurance policies.