Emotional support

A sudden illness, injury, or death of a loved one can be emotionally and physically draining. If you need someone to talk to straight away, you can call the Samaritans on 116 123. The Samaritans is a helpline, open 24-hours a day for anyone in need. It is staffed by trained volunteers who will listen sympathetically. You can also contact the Samaritans by emailing jo@samaritans.org.

You may find hospital staff or your GP offer you and/or your loved one the chance to see a counsellor to talk about what has happened. If not, you can ask for an appointment.

Some professional carers, who may be counsellors, psychotherapists, psychologists or psychiatrists, have expertise in caring for someone who has been affected by a traumatic event. They can help you and your loved one talk about your experiences and reactions and ways to cope and feel stronger.

You may wish to ask if you can talk to someone who specialises in this. Care from these specialists can be free if your GP refers you. If your GP does not refer you, you may have to pay for the care yourself. The organisations listed on this page hold lists of professional carers who specialise in helping people who have been through a traumatic event.

Organisations that can put you in touch with professional carers

British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
BACP, 15 St John's Business Park, Lutterworth, Leicestershire LE17 4HB, United Kingdom
Tel: 01455 883300
Email: bacp@bacp.co.uk
Website: www.bacp.co.uk

United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy

2 America Square, London, EC3N 2LU
Tel: 020 7014 9955
Email: info@ukcp.org.uk
Website: www.psychotherapy.org.uk

British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
Imperial House, Hornby Street, Bury, Lancashire BL9 5BN
Tel: 0330 320 0851
Email: babcp@babcp.com
Website: www.babcp.com

You may wish to contact a local organisation that can offer support. You can ask the nursing staff, a social worker or chaplain for information. You may also wish to contact a national organisation that specialises in providing support to people who have been affected by a certain type of death, illness or injury. Details of these organisations are given on the next few pages.

Organisations supporting people bereaved by any cause

Cruse Bereavement Care 0808 808 1677 or go to www.cruse.org.uk

Cruse Bereavement Care for children and young people 0808 808 1677 or go to www.hopeagain.org.uk

The Samaritans operates a 24-hour helpline for anyone in need on 116 123

If your partner has died

The WAY Foundation (Widowed and Young) www.widowedandyoung.org.uk/

If a child or a child's relative has died

Child Bereavement UK 0800 02 888 40 or go to www.childbereavementuk.org

The Child Death Helpline 0800 282 986 or 0808 800 6019 if calling from a mobile or go to www.childdeathhelpline.org.uk

The Compassionate Friends 0345 123 2304

Care for the Family 029 2081 0800 or go to www.careforthefamily.org.uk

Support following a road death or injury


The road safety charity provides support to bereaved and injured road crash victims through a helpline and care literature, including this booklet.

Brake, PO Box 548, Huddersfield HD1 2XZ
Tel: 01484 559909 Helpline: 0808 8000401
Email: helpline@brake.org.uk
Website: www.brake.org.uk


Provides information and support to bereaved and injured road crash victims.

PO Box 2579, London NW10 3PW
Helpline: 0845 4500 355 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)
Email: info@roadpeace.org
Website: www.roadpeace.org

SCARD (Support and Care after Road Death and Injury) working with CADD (Campaign Against Drinking and Driving)

Two charities working together to provide emotional and practical support to those who have lost a loved one, or been injured or affected by drunk or reckless driving.

PO Box 62, Brighouse HD6 3YY
Tel: 01484 723649 / 01924 562252
Helpline: 0345 123 5542 (7 days a week, 9am-9pm including bank holidays)
Email: info@scard.org.uk
Website: www.scard.org.uk

Support for victims of crime

Victim Support

Provides information and support to people affected by crime through local branches and trained volunteers.

Cranmer House, 39 Brixton Road, London SW9 6DZ
Helpline: 0808 1689 111
Website: www.victimsupport.org.uk

Support After Murder And Manslaughter (SAMM)

Provides support to families bereaved by murder or manslaughter.

L&DC, Tally Ho!, Pershore Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B5 7RN
Telephone: 0121 472 2912
Email: info@samm.org.uk
Website: www.samm.org.uk

Support for chest, heart and stroke illnesses

British Heart Foundation (BHF)

Offers a range of resources and has a network of support groups for patients and families affected by heart problems.

180 Hampstead Road, London NW1 7AW
Website: www.bhf.org.uk

British Lung Foundation (BLF)

Offers Breath Easy support groups for anyone with lung problems.

73-75 Goswell Road, London EC1V 7ER
Helpline: 03000 030 555
Email: www.blf.org.uk/get-in-touch
Website: www.blf.org.uk

Chest, Heart and Stroke Scotland

Trained nurses offer information and advice. They can refer you to local support groups for people with chest, heart and stroke illnesses.

Head Office, Third Floor Rosebery House, 9 Haymarket Terrace, Edinburgh, EH12 5EZ
Tel: 0131 225 6963
Advice line: 0808 801 0899 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am – 4.00pm)
Email: admin@chss.org.uk
Website: www.chss.org.uk

Northern Ireland Chest, Heart and Stroke Association

Provides information and advice to people in Northern Ireland.

21 Dublin Road, Belfast BT2 7HB
Tel: 028 9032 0184
Email: mail@nichs.org.uk
Website: www.nichs.org.uk

The Stroke Association, Stroke Information Service

Provides support and information on publications and services available to individuals and families affected by a stroke.

240 City Road, London EC1V 2PR
Tel: 020 7566 0300
Helpline: 0303 3033 100 (Mon, Thurs, Fri: 9am-5pm; Tues & Weds: 8am-6pm; Sat: 10am-1pm)
Email: helpline@stroke.org.uk
Website: www.stroke.org.uk

Support for head and spinal injuries

Brain and Spine Foundation

Provides information and support to brain and spine injured people.

Fourth Floor, CAN Mezzanine, 7-14 Great Dover Street, London, SE1 4YR
Tel: 020 3096 7880 Helpline: 0808 808 1000
Email: info@brainandspine.org.uk
Website: www.brainandspine.org.uk

Child Brain Injury Trust

Provides information and support to children and young people with a brain injury, their families and the professionals who support them.

Unit 1, The Great Barn, Baynards Green Farm, Nr Bicester, Oxfordshire OX27 7SG
Tel: 01869 341 075
Email: office@cbituk.org
Website: www.childbraininjurytrust.org.uk

Headway (The National Head Injuries Association)

Provides information and support to adults with a head injury and their carers, through support groups, day care centres and literature.

Bradbury House, 190 Bagnall Road, Old Basford, Nottingham, NG6 8SF
Tel: 0115 924 0800
Helpline: 0808 800 2244 or helpline@headway.org.uk
Email: enquiries@headway.org.uk
Website: www.headway.org.uk

Spinal Injuries Association (SIA)

Provides information and advice for people with spinal cord injuries.

SIA House, 2 Trueman Place, Oldbrook, Milton Keynes, MK6 2HH.
Tel: 01908 604191
Adviceline: 0800 980 0501 (Mon – Fri, 10.00am -1.00pm and 2.00pm-4.30pm)
Email: sia@spinal.co.uk
Website: www.spinal.co.uk

National Back Pain Association (BackCare)

Provides information on back conditions and managing back pain.

Monkey Puzzle House, BackCare, 69-71 Windmill Road, Sunbury-on-Thames TW16 7DT
Tel: 0208 977 5474 (Mon-Fri. 8.00am – 8.00pm, Sat. 9.00am – 1.00pm)
Email: backcare.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/
Website: www.backcare.org.uk

Support for sight, hearing and speech impairment

Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB)

Provides information and support for anyone with impaired sight.

105 Judd Street, London WC1H 9NE
Tel: 020 7388 1266 Helpline: 0303 123 9999 (Mon-Fri, 9am–5pm)
Email: helpline@rnib.org.uk
Website: www.rnib.org.uk

Royal National Institute for the Deaf (now known as Action Hearing Loss)

Offers information on a range of issues relating to deafness and hearing loss.

1-3 Highbury Station Road, London N11SE
Telephone: 0808 808 0123 (freephone)
Textphone: 0808 808 9000 (freephone)
SMS: 0780 0000 360
Email: informationline@hearingloss.org.uk
Website: www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk

Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists

Provides general advice and information on local NHS speech and language therapy services.

2 White Hart Lane, London SE1 1NX
Telephone 020 7378 1200
Email: Contact form
Website: www.rcslt.org

Support for burns or disfiguring injuries

Changing Faces

Supports adults and children living with a disfiguring injury.

The Squire Centre, 33-37 University Street, London WC1E 6JN
Tel: 0345 450 0275 or 020 7391 9270
Email: info@changingfaces.org.uk
Website: www.changingfaces.org.uk

The Children's Burns Trust

Offers information and support about rehabilitation of children following severe burns.

2 Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0DH
Tel: 020 7881 0902
Email: info@cbtrust.org.uk
Website: www.cbtrust.org.uk

Support for people with a disability

Dial UK (Disability information and advice line)

A network of local services run by and for disabled people.

Email: Contact form
Website: www.dialuk.info/

Disabled Living Foundation

Provides advice and information on living equipment for disabled people.

Unit 1, 34 Chatfield Road, Wandsworth, London SW11 3SE
Tel: 020 7289 6111 (Mon –Fri.  9am - 5pm) Helpline: 0300 999 0004
Email: dlfinfo@dlf.org.uk
Website: www.dlf.org.uk

Limbless Association

Provides information and support for people without one or more limbs.

Unit 10, Waterhouse Business Centre, 2 Cromar Way, Chelmsford, Essex CM1 2QE
Tel: 01245 216670 Helpline: 0800 644 0185
Email: enquiries@limbless-association.org
Website: www.limbless-association.org

Information on legal matters

The Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)

An association representing solicitors who specialise in claiming money following death or injury.

Tel: 0115 943 5400
Website: www.apil.org.uk

The Motor Accident Solicitors Society (MASS)

A national association representing solicitors who specialise in claims following death or injury in a road crash.

Tel: 0117 925 9604
Website: www.mass.org.uk

The Law Society

Offers information and advice on choosing and using a solicitor.

Tel: 020 7242 1222 (Mon – Fri. 9:00am-5:00pm)
Website: www.lawsociety.org.uk

 Updated: June 2019

Tags: guide road crash emotional support advice