News from Brake
Thursday 7 June 2018
Brake, the road safety charity, announced the winners of its inaugural Police Family Liaison Officer (FLO) Awards, at a reception in the Houses of Parliament last night. The awards, sponsored by Slater and Gordon Lawyers, were held as part of Brake’s 2018 Annual Reception and celebrated FLOs’ commitment and dedication to bereaved families.
Two categories were available for nominations; the ‘Outstanding Officer Achievement Award’, open for peer-nominations from Police colleagues, and the ‘Family Award’, nominated by families supported by an FLO.
Outstanding Officer Achievement Award winner:
- PC Jon Ardron, Lancashire Constabulary 
Highly commended nominees:
- PC Michael Woodhouse, Cleveland Police
- PC Vanessa Busby, Cumbria Police
Family Award winner:
- PC Rick Hooley, Cheshire Police 
- Rick Hooley sadly died in September 2017. This award has been awarded posthumously for the outstanding services he provided to bereaved families.
Highly commended nominees:
- PC Deanna Hyde, Derbyshire Police
- PC Pete Linsley, Northumbria Police
Brake’s 2018 Annual Reception was attended by Brake volunteers, supporters and partners, and parliamentarians with an interest in road safety issues. The FLO awards were presented by Commander Stuart Cundy, of the Metropolitan Police.
Helen Hargrave, Director of Victim Services at Brake, the road safety charity, says: “FLOs play a crucial role in supporting families following a road death or serious injury. We were delighted to receive such a high number of strong entries to our inaugural awards and it was inspiring to see so many excellent examples of support and care. Brake would like to congratulate all of this year’s winners, highly commended entrants and nominees for their excellent and continued dedication to supporting bereaved families.”
Martin James, National Head of Serious Personal Injury at Slater and Gordon Lawyers, says: “At Slater and Gordon, we are always looking at ways to help seriously injured and bereaved families who are often left extremely vulnerable at times of tragedy. Police Family Liaison Officers’ offer a huge amount of comfort and support to families, during their darkest hours. We were pleased to be able to help recognise these outstanding achievements through supporting Brake’s FLO Awards, and it was an honour to see the winning nominees celebrated at Brake’s Annual Reception. Congratulations to all Officers who were nominated for the Awards, whose fantastic work ensures that families receive the help they need when they need it most.”
A full list of shortlisted and nominated officers for the 2018 awards is available on the Brake website here: http://www.brake.org.uk/uncategorised/1772-brake-family-liaison-officer-awards.
For additional information and photos from the ceremony, please contact email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes for editors:
 Outstanding Officer Achievement Award winner, PC Jon Ardron, Lancashire Constabulary, was commended by the judges for:
- His excellent communication skills and ongoing compassion for bereaved families.
- Innovative use of partnership work, to ensure that bereaved families received fully encompassing support
- His consideration of the needs of his colleagues. Alongside his ongoing, excellent support to bereaved families, PC Ardron has also taken steps to share their knowledge and experience with officers inside and outside of their force.
 Family Award winner, PC Rick Hooley, was commended by the judges for:
- His exceptional communication skills, in a case where a family lived in a different country to where the crash occurred. Despite this, PC Hooley was able to clearly explain all of the different laws and processes involved, with the family fully supported.
- This fantastic support was also provided through a lengthy deployment, and PC Hooley provided consistent communication to ensure the family were supported during a three year period.
- The nominating family also credited PC Rick Hooley for his outstanding dedication and professionalism.
Brake is a national road safety charity, founded in 1995, that exists to stop the needless deaths and serious injuries that happen on roads every day, make streets and communities safer for everyone, and care for families bereaved and injured in road crashes.
Brake promotes road safety awareness, safe and sustainable road use, and effective road safety policies. We do this through national campaigns, community education, services for road safety professionals and employers, and by coordinating the UK's flagship road safety event every November, Road Safety Week. Brake is a national, government-funded provider of support to families and individuals devastated by road death and serious injury, including through a helpline and support packs.
Road crashes are not accidents; they are devastating and preventable events, not chance mishaps. Calling them accidents undermines work to make roads safer, and can cause insult to families whose lives have been torn apart by needless casualties.
Slater & Gordon Lawyers
Slater & Gordon Lawyers is one of the UK’s largest law firms with offices across England, Wales & Scotland. With more than 85 years’ experience, our reputation is built on the range of expertise offered by our partners and staff. We have completed acquisitions of a number of other law firms within the UK to become one of the largest personal law firms. The acquisitions have included: Russell Jones & Walker, Fentons, Goodmans Law, Taylor Vinters, John Pickering and Partners, and Pannone. We represent clients across a range of practise areas these include: personal injury, clinical negligence, employment, divorce and family, business, crime and regulatory, commercial and civil litigation, and media, libel and privacy. Additionally, the firm represents the Police Federation of England and Wales and specialises in police law.
For further information visit www.slatergordon.co.uk.